Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Other Internal Revenue Service : Traffic Court

After a while on the police department, I realized the fact that traffic enforcement isn't always about traffic safety.  Sure, DUI, road rage, and some other acts on the road need to be prosecuted, but your average traffic ticket violation is useless in increasing safety.  Its utility, and hence it's heavy enforcement, is in the amount of revenue it generates for the jurisdiction that spends it.

I quit looking for violationis and reacted to dangerous driving actions I witnessed, or that were called in.  The rest of my time I went looking for real criminals.  Today is a time when rethinking law enforcement is valuable activity.  Here's a rather hard-line commentary on one day in traffic court witnessed by a renowned economist.  To read it, click  HERE.





No comments:

Post a Comment